Kassai School of Horseback Archery
Rules of competition
- The organizer decides upon the number of competitors in each group to enter the course(three, four, or more).
- Every competitor must have an aide (or helper).
- The competitors greet their companions and the public, with their aides in front of the target.
- The competitors have the opportunity to run three warm up gallops, after that they must start the competition consisting of nine gallops.
- The competitor may start only after the signal of the judge.
- The course (which is 90 meters long) must be completed at a gallop within 18 seconds; any time remaining will be added to the arrow points to increase the score.
- It is forbidden to stop or break gait on the course.
- The round will be declared invalid under the following circumstances:
- Stepping onto the course without consent of the judge.
- The round time exceeds 18 seconds.
- Leaving the track of the course.
- The horseback archer is not able to shoot any valid points.
- the rhythm of the competition may not be disturbed by any of the competitors ( e.g. problems occurring from injuries, equipment failure, not being punctual, etc.). In the case of a competitor who cannot start the gallop in the proper order for any reason, he/she stays out until they are able to continue. There is no possibility to make up gallops lost in this way.
- The arrows shot at the first target must pass between the first and second shooting poles.
- The arrows shot at the second target must pass between the second and third shooting poles.
- The arrows shot at the third target must pass between the third and fourth shooting poles.
- Any archery style may be used during the competition (three finger European, thumbring Central Asian, Japanese and other different individual styles).
- Only bows that are not center shot and without any aids may be used in competition. Only a nocking point is allowed. Examples of aids: handle or grip locator, sight window, arrow rest, stabilizer, or marking construction etc. The bow can be made of synthetic or natural materials and the draw weight is not limited.
some allowable examples:
- bows of the horseback archery peoples: Scythian, Hunnish, Avar, Hungarian, Mongolian, Turkish etc.
- Asian-style bows, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.
- European stick bows, longbows, etc.
- Bows of the peoples of North and South America.
- Any arrow may be used during the competition: wood, aluminum, carbon, etc. Only target points are allowed.
- During the competition one may only appear in a formal Kaftan according to their degree.